TEACHER / PROFESSOR
- Prof Miguel Meuleman, Professor of Entrepreneurship at Vlerick Business School (Programme Director)
- Prof Veroniek Collewaert, Professor of Entrepreneurship at Vlerick Business School
- Prof Fredrik Hacklin, Professor of Entrepreneurship at Vlerick Business School
- Prof Peter De Prins, Professor of Change & Leadership at Vlerick Business School
- Prof Cédric Donck, professional business angel & professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation in various universities and acts as Dean of Virtuology Academy
Short Description of the course
If you want to grow your business, you need to constantly be on the look-out for new opportunities. But this is only half the challenge. Once you identify an opportunity, you need to be able to turn it into a concrete project, implement it, make it sustainable – and ultimately, make it profitable. New Business Development shows you which avenues can help you grow in a sustainable way. You’ll gain insights into strategies for growth – including developing new products and services, defining new business models, reaching new customers and setting up strategic partnerships. We’ll give you the tools to develop a sound business plan and the confidence to pitch your idea to management. We’ll give you advice on how to structure your proposal, make a plan and build the right team to move it forward. You’ll present your ideas during sounding board session – and get valuable feedback from faculty, peers and your colleague or supervisor.
course Programme / detailed overview
Module 1: Defining roads for growth
- What is ‘Business Development’ and why do you need to invest in it?
- What can you learn from innovators and entrepreneurs?
- What tools can help you identify opportunities for growth?
- How can you systematically map growth opportunities-including:
- New products or services:
- Listening to customers and identifying their needs
- Strategic partnerships:
- When to look for partners
- Opportunities and the risks of strategic partnerships
- New sales channels:
- Developing new sales channels to expand your market
- New business models:
- Business model thinking as a source of new opportunities
- Learning from new and disruptive business models
- Creating and capturing value by turning ideas into business models
- What are the key risks associated with these growth strategies?
Module 2: Analysing and validating your growth opportunities
- How do you conduct market research, assess your competitive advantage and evaluate whether your idea is feasible?
- How can you test new business ideas more efficiently and effectively?
- How can you map the financials of your new business idea?
Module 3: Writing your Business plan and delivering your elevator pitch
- How do you deliver a confident elevator pitch?
- What are the building blocks of a good business plan?
- How can you write a business plan that convinces others to back your idea?
- What are the dos and don’ts of writing a business plan?
Module 4: Organising for execution
- What key steps should you follow to implement your idea?
- How do you allocate resources?
- How can you organise internally for execution?
- How can you successfully manage a team and move your idea forward?
If you’re a middle or senior-level manager who is responsible for developing new business opportunities – and you have a background in business development, strategy, marketing or sales – this programme is perfect for you.
We also welcome entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs who are ready to develop a business plan and grow their business.
- Become an expert in evaluating and explaining an idea’s potential
- Develop a robust business plan – and the confidence to pitch it
- Cultivate a more entrepreneurial mindset
- Gain insights into the tools that help with new business development